View Single Post
Old 18th October 2021, 08:40   #36
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
They are under 12, so not for a while yet. But I cannot see how it will be possible. Even in the north east where I am!

I don't see why the state needs to be involved in provision. If we don't eat, we will die, yet the state doesn't run the supermarkets. Indeed, I suggest they would be grim places if they did.

Refugees? Do we get many Irish or French fleeing war?

Housing benefit cap is a political joke. They are given discretionary payments to cover the gap. Get yourself five kids by different men and you can have a huge house paid for by the hard work of others. The benefit calculations are banded and based on average rents, so there is a never ending game of raising the rent, then the benefit etc.

Oh yes, it is better than a car, but it is still dead money. If houses crashed 90% in value, I think it might benefit more people than it hurts...
Lots of time for them to get a job, starting with a paper round or Sunday job. At 15? my daughter had 3 jobs, at 27/28 she had 3 jobs. She goes back to work in a month or so, she will have 2 jobs. The decision your children and you make about them working may have ramifications for years to come.
Going back 38 years my wife and I had about £22,000 in savings, we were 20 and 21, out first house was £33,000.
Found this on the web "Of people between the age of 22 and 29 years, about 40% have no savings at all, while around 10% have savings between £2,000 and £3,000. Only around 25% have saved more than £6,000"
The point I am trying to make, if people work and save but cannot afford then they have the right to complain, if they don't do either or both then don't moan they cant afford, now there will be exceptions, sick, low paid being 2

French and Irish, interesting.
You have decent honest foreign people fleeing their home countries due to fear that may not be able read, write or speak English, how on earth are they going to live a legal life and support themselves? OK, this example dates back years but German Jews came to the UK round about 1938/39, what would you have done with them? Left them to their fate or given them a safe place of refuge, a hot meal and a roof over their head? History tells us what happened to an awful lot of them.
Now we have the situation with Afghanistan.
I get the feeling you are thinking about those that want to sponge off the state while I am thinking about those that want to work and lead a decent honest life, alas, amongst the group of refugees there will no doubt be bad apples

They state should be there for those that truly cannot manage, low pay, sick and some may have lost everything due to splitting from partner and then paying child maintenance or partner dying and no income.
Rent does rise in some cases every year but costs can too.
For a lot of people as it may already have been said, the value of a home is meaningless until you come to sell or borrow against it or you want bragging rights.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote