View Single Post
Old 30th October 2010, 19:07   #117
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewsemple View Post
Are you sure?

MG Rover would have to had gone back to Valeo and said - "we need you to redesign the key so that it has an octagon shaped button embossed with the MG logo"

Valeo would have sucked air through their corporate teeth and said: "we will have to redesign the pressings of both the fob shell and the button and it will cost £x,000s"

They would not have said: "That will only cost a few pennies"

With the benefit of hindsight (if they knew in 1998 that they would be launching an MG version of the Rover 75 in 2001) they could have got the two designs commissioned at the same time (just like they did with the MINI and Rover 75 versions) or just gone for a round button with an open padlock image.

However, I do agree with you as it pains me to unlock my MG ZT with a blank but obviously Rover-inspired Viking ship-shaped button!
Even if Valeo had said it would cost a bazillion dollars, a human kidney and a small dodo, theres nothing stopping you opening it up and replacing the button with a pattern part.

It's the little things that make the massive difference - my Proton had the worlds shittest key and it pretty much set the tone for the whole car!
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote