View Single Post
Old 25th November 2020, 12:25   #17
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Get a Gunson Trakrite shear gauge and you'll get it better than the local depot. The primary issue with DIY tracking is to have the Thrust Angle in spec first. I can't see a reliable DIY method of doing that - I suppose sombody will tell us how? So it needs a professional setup before you do the final tweek. This 'tune' as I call it is the difference between the toes being within spec and hitting the sweet spot for your particular car.

TC
Use this calculator https://robrobinette.com/DIYAlignmentCalculator.htm with parallel strings and You wil have a very good 4 wheel alignment DIY tool.
I am using the calculator with a couple of wood strips to keep the strings parallel each other and a good digital caliper for measurements. The results are excellent: ALL of my cars drives straight and no abnormal wear on tyres (front and rear). A nightmare everytime I have been for a wheel alignment in a garage. Hope this helps