View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:54   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I agree with everythig in Jonathan's opening post, havng recently spent time on MB and Volvo owner forums whilst considering the E-class and Volvo V70 estates as possible replacements for my Omega estate which is now 17.5 years of age.

I've alway held the view that cars have three phases in their lives - 0 to 8 years, 8 to 16 years and 16 years onwards. At each of the phase boundaries, they need significant expenditure in order to provide trouble-free motoring during the next phase.

My Omega was purchased early on and I went to the garage with a very long list of items to replace when it reached 8 years of age. It has been absolutely trouble free since. Now, at 17.5 years, I have taken the decision to keep it until 20+ years. It is now going to get the same treatment and is currently in for welding, having stripped out all the trim so that the welding can be done properly without setting the car alight. It will get a complete set of brake pipes, discs, pads etc. in the next 2 months.

Our 75 CDT was purchased at 8 years and went through the same process.

Last year, we bought an 8-year old Twintop and that is now undergoing the same process at the chosen garage. It will get a thorough inspection including diagnostics, belts, clutch kit, waxoyling etc. etc.

I find that the above regime works really well, although the expenditure at 8 and 15ish years in very significant. I see no reason why it will not work even on the newest cars.

Sorry for going at a slight tangent but I think it is relevant.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote