View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2018, 14:59   #10
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Mike.
Be careful what you poke into the sensor hole, as any debris left behind even bits of rust can and will effect the magnetic ring, below are some photo's that I took when a member had drilled his sensor out, successfully and at first it cured the ABS light, but after a week the light came back on but this time he had the pulsing of the brake pedal.

We decided that a minute bit of the old sensor may have been left behind and damaged the magnetic ring.

I had a spare hub which we knew was a working one, therefore we made plans to change it over.

donor hub.

As you can see it is clean it was brushed out with a soft brush and also hovered so free of any rust particles.

The next day we remove troubling hub and magnetic ring, note how the ring as been worn by the debris.

You can clearly see the black protective membrane as been worn away so it is now showing the metal colour.

The donor one was fitted and is to this day still working fine, so yes bits can drop in and do damage best to be clean Arctic
Thanks Artic.
These photos are exactly what I needed to see the relationship between the sensor and ring. It's impossible to see this when the assembly is on the car.
Following your advice I will go in carefully with a pipe-cleaner to try to remove any debris, and hope that my poking about yesterday has not damaged the ring.
Reading the manual it appear that one can only replace the bearing if the whole of front hub (and suspension ?) is removed from the car and taken to the bench, an operation I hope I don't have to do.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote