View Single Post
Old 12th January 2021, 20:58   #53
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamdrivenandy View Post
I suspect that the reason a particular distance was not mentioned in the guidelines is that the government ran up against the same issues as we've been debating, how long is a piece of string.
However what they are trying to achieve is to limit leisure mobility in an effort to reduce transmission where suitable areas for exercise are closer at hand. This is not necessary activity, like going to work, collecting prescriptions, getting food, attending a hospital etc. There is no restriction on them, although in the spirit of the times you should limit mileage if possible.
Maybe there should be a mandatory limit of 5 miles, say, and if you're questioned by the police it's up to the officer whether to accept your justification or not. If you feel a fine wasn't warranted then an appeal would be available.
That would probably be acceptable to most people, but there will always be those who won't agree. Johnson and his 7 miles being one of them. Actually to the edge of the park it's nearer 6 miles to No 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The chief of police was on the tele.---He said his men were told to use their discretion.---Obviously they don't have any.----

Discretion:

1. the quality of behaving or speaking in such a way as to avoid causing offence or revealing confidential information.
  2. the freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.
I'm betting that they did use their discretion [2], However what the chief meant (in hindsight only) was to ensure they didn't cause offence or reveal any confidential information [1].

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote