View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2021, 19:33   #33
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
C Tec chargers are pretty much the go to charger for long term use....

This reminds me of an incident many many many years ago. A colleague was refitting a cylinder head on a Rover 800 after doing the then common sticking valves from cold modification. He turned the car over and the battery exploded. Everybody was shocked at how a battery could explode for no reason....... I spotted the main HT lead was near the battery, he’d cranked it over not wanting it to start but the ht lead was on top of the battery at the time

Two quick stories, 1) As teenager I couldn't afford new batteries for my motorbikes, so used to cadge any that were being changed from friends and using an old charger were on a ' conveyer belt ' taking their turn to be charged.

Roll on one Sunday morning, a couple of pals popped by to see if I was up for a ride out, answer yes, I nipped down into the large cellar at my mums to take the battery which was on charge, cell caps off, for my bike, I reached sideways to disconnect the battery with my left hand whilst looking to my right and reaching for something with my right hand, yes the bang is loud, you can guess the rest, I got rid of the stinging with a quick shower, unprepared for the stinging I got from mums tongue a few days later when the clothes I wore when it went bang came out of the wash like Buck House lace curtains along with some other washing.

2) Years ago Datsun, now Nissan, fitted an Alfa Romeo engine to I think it was the Datsun Cherry Europe which had an Alfa engine.

On testing for coolant, head gasket problems with the plastic expansion bottle cap off, it suddenly went bang, yes the king lead was on the inner wing to prevent the engine starting whilst cranking and to earth the HT, that old antifreeze was potent.

The bottle was in dozens of pieces, Datsun dealers didn't carry stock, 14 day order turnaround but a quick phone to Mangoletsi in Knutsford saved the day, do you want a new one or a second hand one, they always had loads of used Alfa spares due to the rust boxes dropping to bits log before the mechanical bits were worn out.