View Single Post
Old 14th January 2022, 18:52   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Are you sure that the 3 pipes on the tank aren't in, out and vent? And that it's actually an expansion tank for the closed circuit heating system to heat the hot water in the 'normal' hot water tank? Not sure how that would be cross connected with the gas ch closed circuit but I guess it's possible with temp sensors and servo operated valves. But importantly, if I'm right, it's there for a very good reason. That reason could be to prevent terminal pressure build up (prevent a steam explosion). The log burner cannot be simply turned off when the hot water system is at max temp like the gas boiler can. In the old days of back boilers with open fires the heat from the fire could be directed to effectively control how much heating went into the system. This isn't going to be likely with a coil from a log burner.
I'd definately suggest consulting an expert on log burner integrations with c.h systems before even thinking of removing the large tank. You need to be absolutely clear of it's purpose before you can judge if it's necessary or not.
What you say makes sense but this tank is 490/495 litres. This seems awfully large. There are only 5 radiators and one of those is turned off but there is also underfloor heating that we have not used. Still 490/5L is still very big. All 3 pipes have motorized valves fitted and I would have thought only the flow in or flow out would need a valve to control flow through the coil. Why would the vent need one? The vent connects to the central heating I think. There is an expansion vessel connected to the central heating return but that is in another room. I would need to double check but in the loft either the flow or return to the log burner has a pipe that goes to a header tank, would this not double as expansion. I am sure the other pipe has a pipe connected but I cant think where it goes. This flow and return for the log burner go through a coil in the loft cylinder, the heated water goes to the central heating. There are 2 thermostats connected to the central heating flow at the top of this water cylinder. The first is set to about 30 degrees, when at 30 degrees it opens a valve or two or 3 goodness knows and may or may not start a pump and heated water is then sent to the central heating. The second thermostat is set to about 80 degrees, when this gets to temperature heated water is sent to the 490/495 water cylinder and opens a motorized valve to allow flow into the 490/5 cylinder, I don't know about pumps or any other motorised valves opening.

Avulon, does any of the above make sense? You have had a very good thought, thank you for piping up, any more thoughts?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote