View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:40   #12
NRMOZ
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon X2

Interesting variations on looking at batteries. I'd have thought the prime requisite is NOT the biggest battery but the strongest battery. Trap can be looking at the CCA figure (usually around 780 for a ROver 75 battery). Basically this is the cold cranking amps available; the stronger the better because as most will know and the rest will find out the Rover computer does not like delivering power to the starter motor the second the voltage drops a milli-volt under its setting. Local engineer pointed out the better batteries will tell you this figure a 0 degrees (celcius for those of us down-under). The better batteries will therefore deliver much better results at ambient temps... this would be more important for our UK mates who suffer much lower temps than we do in winter...

I was having battery issues with the strongest battery my local battery place had; and there it was 780 CCA at ambient temp; not 0C. My engineer hooked me up with a replacement that delivers nearly 100 more than that at ambient temps; and that was @ 21% charge versus the 'old' unit that could not deliver the stated amount even at 100% charge of 12.54V.

Most interesting was my old battery, purchased in January 2016 was down to 91% health!!!

I now run a good trickle charger; I get to the start the 75 when ever I want to now...