View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2020, 23:24   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
I've been trying to connect my new Alpine head unit today (CDE 178BT).

I have an Alpine KTP445 inline amp under the glovebox as well, and everything (bar the steering wheel controls) worked ok with my previous Alpine head unit.

However, I'm not getting any power to the head unit with things connected up as illustrated in the attached PDF - am I missing something obvious here?

I've left the steering wheel control interface box disconnected in order to get some radio stations saved before plugging it in.

I've lost the control panel of my previous Alpine unit, but I plugged it in (with its own supplied patch lead) and although I had no real function or sound available, I was able to eject an old cd from the head unit - which surely suggests that power was going to that one?

Not much use with this kind of thing, so if anyone can point me in the right direction (new patch leads? - if so, which ones will work?), it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Karl.
from the images, there is a red wire that does not look to be connected (page one image and three). This is a power wire of some description, likewise, there is also an orange wire too that is not connected. I cannot remember what the orange one is for, but the red one (and yellow) both need to be connected, as these are both lives, a permanent and switched live.

If this is not the case, then approach it logically.

Disconnect everything, so that all that remains is the ISO car loom. Plug the Alpine loom into this, ignoring the steering wheel part of the loom. Plug the loom into the stereo then power on. This will eliminate any issue with the stereo (as this is the newest link in the chain).

If it operates fine, then plug the Alpine stereo loom into the KTP445 amp (I think this is how it operates?) and then plug the amp loom into the car loom. Then test again.

The steering wheel adapter looks to be an Autoleads ones? If so perhaps try fitting it without the amp in the equation, and test its operation without trying to make the steering controls operational at this point.

As I understand it, the wiring should go as follows.

Stereo loom, to the Amplifier, to the steering wheel control loom, to the car ISO loom. (There will also be the 2.5/3.5mm plug from the steering wheel adapter control box that will plug directly into the socket on the back of the stereo).

The above all depends on the amp drawing power from the ISO loom. It will be a little less straightforward, if it draws power directly from the battery (as a standard amplifier would).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote