View Single Post
Old 19th November 2021, 18:06   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have received a reply from Protyre simply referring me to this section of the MOT manual. I have informed them that it contains no reference to mixing tread patterns on the same axle being grounds for failing the MOT test. I have therefore asked them to correct their mistake as it potentially misleads people into making unnecessary purchases.

I will report further if I receive a response.

Simon
Their spiel is indeed misleading, but not totally inaccurate;

Their title states, Don’t mix tyres across the same axle – it’s dangerous, and can be illegal. - this is true if crossply and radials are mixed (fails the MOT, therefore not roadworthy, ergo illegal) - the word can is powerful here.

Later on though it states, Can I mix different tyre tread patterns?
No. Mixing different tread patterns across the same axle is not allowed. The identical tyre model and tread pattern must be fitted for a single axle. You can, however, use different tyres on a separate axle – just as long as they too match each other.
(as mentioned from Macafee's post). Whilst legally and practically, this is not accurate, HOWEVER, their business practice appears to be cynically hoping that an ignorant motorist will take it to mean illegal. They are simply stating they will not allow their employees to fit mismatched tyres on the same axle, hinting it to be a safety issue. But they are NOT claiming it to be illegal or an MOT failure because of this, they are simply stating that they do not allow it .

To me it is simply greedy business practice, designed to maximise turnover - in the same vein as an MOT 'check' by certain garages will throw up 'phantom' faults and issues, for the ignorant or nervous motorist. Trading standards would be the port of call for that one, for misleading safety information for financial gain.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote