View Single Post
Old 20th November 2021, 07:02   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have received a reply from Protyre simply referring me to this section of the MOT manual. I have informed them that it contains no reference to mixing tread patterns on the same axle being grounds for failing the MOT test. I have therefore asked them to correct their mistake as it potentially misleads people into making unnecessary purchases.

I will report further if I receive a response.

Simon
I have heard back from Protyre as follows:

"We have brought this to the attention of the relevant team.
They will look into this matter and make any changes necessary."

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
They are simply stating they will not allow their employees to fit mismatched tyres on the same axle, hinting it to be a safety issue. But they are NOT claiming it to be illegal or an MOT failure because of this, they are simply stating that they do not allow it .
Hi Alan,

I agree with nearly all your analysis but concerning the above, whilst Protyre says that it is "not allowed", they do not reveal by whom. You are assuming that it is the company's own decision but that is not clear. A reader could equally be frightened by their statement, reaching a different assumption that it is a legal requirement.

When I raised this with Protyre they referred me to the DVSA MOT manual. That suggests that they consider it to be grounds for an MOT failure although they do not clearly state that in their claim. The easy way out would have been to take responsibility themselves as you have assumed is the case, but they did not do that.

When I pointed out to them that there is no such requirement in the MOT manual, Protyre had the opportunity to say that actually it is their own company policy not to fit different tread patterns on the same axle. They did not do this either.

I therefore don't see any evidence that their claim is company policy. As you say, it is misleading statement which will have the effect of increasing sales. We'll have to see if they make any corrections.

Simon