View Single Post
Old 29th April 2021, 14:51   #15
andybilston

Rover 75 Saloon

I have now spoken to two mechanics about the problem.
First was Nick Newey at Summit Dudley. He was very knowledgeable and friendly. He said if it was just the head gasket that's gone the price would be £800+ to repair. If further damage has been done then it would be in four figures, but obviously he can't tell until he starts dismantling which would be £200+ just to look at it. He did say to fill it up with water and if it starts and hasn't jammed then that would be a good sign and would be more likely to be head gaskets, but not guaranteed.

Secondly I spoke to Russell at mgroversolutions who couldn't properly diagnose without seeing but said if it was head gaskets then the cost would be £425 and if further damage was done it would be an additional £350 (£775 total). He could do it in about3/4 weeks time. Apparently he is 350 miles away from home at the moment so he really does travel to do a job!!

If it was just head gaskets at £425 I would have it done but not sure spending £775 on it is sensible on a 17 year old car where the value isn't that great. Not totally decided yet what to do.
andybilston is offline   Reply With Quote