View Single Post
Old 14th April 2020, 22:34   #11144
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Took at overhauling the front brakes on the tourer to
- Investigate the pulsing brake pedal.....(not the pulsing grouchy noise associated with abs / sensor failure).
- check condition of pads
- see if I could wire brush the rust off the discs.
Started with the front o/s.
Caliper carrier removed for a much needed clean.
Tried for 30 mins to carefully remove the disc torx screw, hammering the rear of the socket via the breaker bar as I applied pressure, but it was so tight, I inevitably ended up mashing it.😡
Moved to n/s.
Caliper carrier was also in need of a good clean, but at least (I think) I found out why the brakes were pulsing.
One of the pads had separated from the backing material. Could still see the pagid manufacturers stamp on it.🤔

Moved back to the stubborn torx screw on the o/s, which finally gave after an hour of hammering with various substitutes for a good chisel.😳
Although I wire brushed the discs with the drill, they were still not great looking, so opted for replacement, as I’d need new pads anyway. Also ordered discs and pads for the rear, as I’m sure they’ll be no better.
Now waiting for parts....and a few spare torx screws, and red rubber grease for the caliper pins.🙄

Ordered some rose joints for the silver saloon, which is having rear arms replaced by trusty mechanic.

Cleaned the duo tone.

Then had to do what I should have been doing in the first place...😬
- replaced outside light bulb
- Unblocked the septic tank that had started to overflow 😳

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote