Thread: Electric cars
View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2022, 09:59   #99
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I was having an interesting conversation with my neighbour yesterday, he used to be in new car sales and one of the other neighbours daughters has an electric car. He said '' I wonder what the hole life cost is compared to a proper car " (his words).
We know they have a higher purchase price and potentially a shorter life before they will need big expenditure ( new battery). On the positive side, they are free to tax and electricity is cheaper as long as you can recharge at home or have a deal. I have no idea what they cost to insure if you do the national average mileage or the cost of the annual service? Also what is a the depreciation like? I know I have seen Teslas advertised for what appears to be a bargain price.
I worry about my X5 needing a new engine and / or gearbox more then our electric car needing a new battery!

Our ZS EV has just ticked over 20,000 miles so I thought I'd check the battery's state of health which turns out to be 98.4% so it's lost just 1.6% of its capacity in that time. I'd consider the car no longer of use to use when it can't make the 60 mile daily commute without charging which means it will need to lose at least 50% before we'd consider changing the battery.

By my calculations this means we could cover roughly 625,000 miles before needing to replace the battery! This equates to about 41 years so suffice to say I'm not too worried about it.