View Single Post
Old 21st June 2020, 23:25   #21
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

As you can see by the photo kindly posted by Marinabrian I really went to town on mine.

If you could only see the photos prior to this rebuild which was my choice as the car was looking very good.
There was minimal corrosion around the wheel arches which required attention.
Rimmer bros purchased back a load of new panels from India and I mean a load, approx 40 shipping containers.
I purchased new panels and decided to go the whole hog and replace the sills as well.
On removing the wings the corrosion was limited to approx 1/2 inch round the arches after which was still as new from the factory.
The same applied to the sills where there was only slight corrosion extending approx 1” behind the front wheel but was only surface.
There was corrosion in the boot area which was mainly caused by the fact I had fitted a tow bar and although at the time of the rebuild I hadn’t towed a caravan for about 10 years.
Again with the doors there was only a little corrosion at the bottom of the outer skin but I decided to re skin all four doors.
Finally after a 3 year rebuild I constructed a custom build boot floor and rear valance to incorporate a duplex exhaust conversion which was positioned much higher up than the horrible IMO original pipe which ran off to one side.
I used to get exhaust fumes drawn in via the tailgate vents but with my duplex system there were no fumes getting in.
Bearing in mind my car was over 20 years old when I did the restoration but during its normal working life no real corrosion was present. The car lay off the road for six years then tidied up a bit first and attended many classic car shows before the three year rebuild from 2007 to 2010.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote