View Single Post
Old 17th July 2018, 19:41   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
We have that here, new drivers can't go above 45 mph, even on motorways.
Unfortunately an R plate only warns others of the inexperience. As evident HERE. I looked back through the video, and the guy appeared from nowhere, and obviously has weaved through the traffic. For the most part, I dont believe he was driving more than 45mph.

I would like to see some form of speed restriction for the L and R drivers enabled via the ECU (one of our work's vans is limited to 68mph in this way). Enabled via a dealer perhaps at the time of insurance purchase? I know this could be circumvented, but an immediate loss of licence if caught going beyond 45 mph. Likewise, I know there is an issue when they'd drive a parent's car, but too bad. As a parent how would you feel having to collect your child from hospital/police cell, after they'd been told their passenger(s) is (are) dead, or the other driver? (there was talk of passenger restrictions and curfews recently for R drivers too - not sure how I feel about that, as it restricts obtaining experience)

Many years ago, a guy in the year above me wrote off an XR2 showing off. His father then bought him his own car, a Lada, with a metal block welded onto the accelerator cable bracket. Restricting it to about 2500 rpm. So fitting carbs wouldnt be an issue either lol

As for older drivers, I think we should all have some kind of test, or exam at least every licence renewal. (ours expire every 10 years and 3 after 70 years old). Maybe even reducing licence expiry to every 5 years? I know my eyesight is still good (My 10 year old nephew and I are the only ones in my family now that dont wear glasses). However, my confidence and reactions are less than they were 20 years ago. My conscience though is greater as I get older I value life more (which is one of the reasons why I believe older drivers are more cautious)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote