View Single Post
Old 25th July 2018, 07:53   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilsan330 View Post
Hi Guys..help need please...I seem to be topping my car up with water at least every other day about 3 cups full. I can t see any leaks around the hoses that are visible. I have had a compression check all ok..last week new inlet gasket fitted.

I top up to where you can see the vents inside the radiator but the water drops well below that when I check in the mornings..

I have the right filler cap on.

What I want to know is the heater system connected to the engine cooling system..could I be losing water in there somehow. There is no water left on my drive.

any ideas

Thanks

Bill
You may have had a new inlet gasket fitted, however if the bronze coloured ferrules contained within the manifold have moved slightly with over zealous tightening due to poor gasket squeeze or manifold distortion the gasket will not be compressed sufficiently.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...03&postcount=1

Or alternatively fit a VVC manifold

On the heater question. Yes it is possible to leak from there, but perhaps you would get a faint whiff of coolant smell when using the car, or windows would steam up easily. Remove the little triangular shapes in the footwell around the centre console and have a look in there for any leaks and coolant staining, powder.

Other suggestions:
1. Water pump can leak without showing dripping coolant as there maybe an evaporation chamber incorporated in the pump itself. Have a look under the front and timing belt area in sump of the engine as dried coolant residue can form usually pink powdery look.
2. Radiator.
3. Thermostat housing (or empty thermostat housing if PRT fitted) at the back of engine underneath inlet manifold can distort. The single O-rings philosophy can leak if they get flattened over the years and are fitted with silicone grease (or other sort) or even twisted if too dry on fitting.
4. Radiator cap O-rings.
5. Steel coolant pipe that runs around the back of the engine to the thermostat housing can corrode in micro spots and leak?
6. All other pipe hose connections that have plastic and where someone has replaced with a jubilee clip distorting and compressing the plastic fitting.
7. T-piece (if fitted) at top front of radiator the swaged on clips can cut into the hose and cause leaks, the owner fits jubilee clips and actually makes it worse in long run.

Last edited by Lovel; 25th July 2018 at 09:07..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote