View Single Post
Old 16th August 2021, 21:23   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
We recently had an engineer out to sort out our landline ( crackling at our end ), he was saying that BT is reluctant to spend any money on the exchanges at the moment because of the new system that is going to replace the existing system. Apparently it will be better with more features than are possible at the moment.

He was saying that the system we have at the moment is just an electronic version of the original mechanical system. I remember visiting an exchange when I was at school, lots of Strowger switches moving and women taking calls and putting plugs into holes on a board, sounds mad now but it was only 45 years ago. The building it was housed in was one of the biggest in the town I lived in and I bet it would only need a room the size of a cargo container to do the same job.

And for some reason the electronic exchanges we have now wont allow or is it just BT wont allow you to take your phone number to another area. That old mechanical exchange did. My first year with BT was Internal construction, putting Exchanges in. Your right, for some exchanges a cargo container will do.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote