View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2019, 18:57   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
I only became intrigued by this because I carried out an experiment where I removed all the fuel from one side of the tank (passenger side) and still had _ _0xyz but obviously the total quantity had reduced correctly on the Ipk diagnostic display
According to the write-up,

Test 6.0 shows each side volume as abcxyz

Test 6.1 shows the tank total as 'ABC' which is (abc + xyz)
Test 6.2 shows each tank side 'abcxyz' unless there's a fault with a rheostat, in which case it will show either '--0abc' or 'xyz--0'

But '--0' can't show with 1-6.2 only 2-6.2
so something is wrong somewhere.

Your results suggest the write-up is wrong, which is something I have suspected for a while. But we need lots of numbers from both sides of the tank to make sense of it. I really don't understand why driving long enough to consume eighteen litres of fuel didn't swill anything into the LHS. Maybe the hump is higher than I thought.

I'd like to do some tests again myself, but unfortunately the car's currently incapacitated and SORN. So if you're planning further experiments, could you maybe include a full tank readout for Test 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 and then a periodic repeat of these to see how each side decreases. Logic suggests they'll fall about equally until the total gets to a certain figure, when LHS will empty faster. But it would be good to know what actually happens.
Cheers,
TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote