View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:05   #6
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I thought it smelt more like petrol, but I don't have a strong sense of smell and exhaust fumes is a possibility. The smell is very strong at times, but at other times I can't smell it at all.

I've taken the engine cover off and can't see any signs of leaks. However, there is a yellow plastic T-shaped junction next to the alternator where three black pipes meet. The pipes themselves look OK but the plastic union is oily and brittle and the pipes slide on and off very easily, suggesting there may be a little leakage there. Would that account for smells getting into the cabin?

One other possibility: I know the middle section of the exhaust is ready for replacing, and may be leaking fumes underneath the car. Would they be able to penetrate inside when the windows are shut?
Suspect that the o rings on the fuel rail are perished, I had the probblem when I first got the newer ZT, you need to remove the engine cover, and look at the fuel rail on the left hand side, the pipe which runs from the back bank to the front bank, and if you feel around that area, you might find the problem

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote