View Single Post
Old 21st January 2022, 21:28   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You've spent too long in the south of France climate Jon!
I appreciate that you say "warm" rather than "hot" but quickly increasing the temperature of glass at freezing point doesn't strike me as a good idea. But in any case what will happen is that the "warm" water will instantly freeze thereby making the situation worse!

In the past I have tried the de-icing sprays which have the disadvantage of producing a smeary coating which hampers visibility. I now find that the simplest method is the best: a manual ice scraper followed by putting the engine under load by driving away with windscreen defrost activated. The rapid warming-up of the K series petrol engines is very helpful!

Simon
I've poured warm water on the windows and screens of my cars all my life with no problems. Doesn't have a chance to freeze before the wipers clean it off.--( For me that's 60 years of proof. A number of folks don't even get to live that long.--)

As for being cold it gets much colder in winter here even though I'm about 400 miles further south than where you are.

In Britain the top of a bucket of water outside would have a layer of ice on it. Over here all the water in the bucket freezes into a solid lump.--

Summer gets hotter and winter gets colder.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 21st January 2022 at 21:31..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote