Thread: LHD Headlights
View Single Post
Old 19th November 2017, 21:23   #37
Leachim
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default RHD/LHD confusion re France...

I have found the question of LHD/RHD headlamps, Xénons and the French ''contrôle technique'', equivalent of the British MOT or the German TÜV, pretty confusing.

I was convinced that I would have a problem with the French ''contrôle technique'' which I needed in order to register my RHD Rover 75, equipped with Xénons, in France. I also never did figure out where the levers were to change from RHD to LHD, nor how to move them when I did.

But lo and behold, when it came to having the car tested at my local French test centre, it passed in so far as the headlights were concerned (it failed on a badly worn trackrod end, however, so they're not entirely slack).

I was so surprised that I asked the boss of the test centre to check the headlights again to make sure the beam conformed to French standards. He did check again, and assured me they were ok (Of course it could be that the levers have already been moved in the right way. But how to tell?!?!).

Another explanation might be that the French test is not very throrough or demanding (I see many cars on French roads with badly adjusted headlights) .

Yet another might be the fact that despite having Xénons, the headlights on this car seems pretty feeble (and yet the glass/perspex looks bright and clear). The standard halogens on my Peugeot 605 and my Toyota Hilux seem to be better.

Comprenne qui pourra !
Leachim is offline   Reply With Quote