Thread: Virus spread
View Single Post
Old 19th December 2021, 18:31   #170
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
My daughter is a teacher at Newcastle college, some of the stories she tells about classroom life are unreal, I could not do her job whatever salary was offered.
I know three very competent qualified and experienced teachers who decided to walk away from teaching just last July. All f them science teachers. The job is very stressful and made far worse by the academy trusts using government funding to build up (incompetent) layers of non-teaching management and starving the teaching professionals of the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Me too. I loved teaching when I started but the hassles and political correctness just ruined any job satisfaction in the end. Let teachers teach in their own way and good or bad will soon show in results! (or not!)
This is a genuine question. Why do you highlight political correctness but not being undervalued, expected to meet artificial and unrealistic targets, generally being c*****d on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I've just read the government wants to attract retired teachers back into the classroom to plug the gaps. Well, as a retired university lecturer who was originally a maths teacher, no matter how high the rate, I would not be interested. There's far too much covid amongst the young.
You could do what I do. Teach as a volunteer. Then you do not have to get involved in the admin etc. and can focus on educational excellence. Last year, out of my 12 Further Engineering Maths students, 8 achieved the highest grade of a distinction. This year I am also running extra evening and holiday time online lessons for students who could not afford private tuition but wish to do well by putting in the extra learning timeand effort. I am expecting every one of my students to achieve a distinction in Further Engineering Maths and Calculus for Engineering subjects in their assessments at college.

One can achieve a lot of personal satisfaction and help young people achieve their best yet avoid the stresses of a teaching job.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote