View Single Post
Old 4th August 2021, 20:36   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Andy. I have done Le Mans twice. Once with my brother in his Audi, with his son in a Jaguar and-me in my Rover 220sd.We travelled overnight by ferry , and arrived around 4.30 am on the Thursday.. Camped on the site not far from The ‘straight’ . We had a ticket to enter the area from the Thursday, so watched the cars practising during the day and the night. You could see the brake disks glowing red hot when they passed you. There is a good vibe in Le Mans on the night before the race starts, with classic cars taking place.The atmosphere was electric on race day with fireworks being set off, mostly by the English.There is some fun on the roads around the camping area, with different cars being shown off by their owners which the police try to stop to no avail. In fact the police were drowned by some ofte ‘gang’, mostly English of course. Don’t expect to get much sleep because of the cars going round all night and then the partying. I think we had around 10-12 hours in the four days we were there.
Second time, my son who lives in Germany, hired a motor home and dove from Koln to Calais to meet us. Spent the night in the ibis hotel, and drove down next day. Much more comfortable than driving down during the night . All in all a really enjoyable event, except for the fact that they found an unexploded bomb from the last war under the main walkway which you went down to get in, after the race, during redevelopment of the site. Go and enjoy he experience.