Old 17th April 2024, 14:13   #174116
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Jeff

Thank you for those thoughts and knowledgeable insight's, much appreciated.

If you didn’t want to spend 15,000 plus on a new set up with Canon, why not look at another cheaper brand such as Nikon or Fujitsu or Sony, even used. What is the favourite mirrorless camera at camera club, just curious?

My Olympus lenses will fit the LUMIX full frame body. What I don’t like about the new and old Olympus mirrorless camera is how the megapixels have failed to exceed 20MP. At 20MP there are still great photos to be had, but it feels as though Olympus is trailing behind the other main brands.

Last week on safari, I could have done with another camera as I missed some great shots waisting time changing lenses and focusing up. I wished I had taken the Canon Superzoom bridge camera which doesn’t require any lens changes, a lesson learned

Tell me Jeff, does the Ninja take all of the fat out of the roast potatoes and gammon? I ask as I am on a low fat/fat free diet.
Hi Phil,

The cost for professional mirrorless cameras and lenses regardless of make would be much the same.
I need pro spec bodies as consumer level camera bodies would not last and I need reliability when shooting for clients. 'Tis why I carry two cameras (just in case)
The 1DX bodies are weather sealed, magnesium bodied and have shutter mechanisms that are rated for far more actuations than the consumer cameras.

Having shot Canon since going digital I would also not want to have to learn all the different menu systems and button layouts.

The Canon R3 is the nearest equivalent to my Canon 1DX as they have not yet released the 'top of the line' R1 body .

To be honest Phil, apart from the weight saving and an articulated screen there is nowt for me to gain.

As for lenses. I could never downgrade from the 'fast' constant aperture glass.
You will never get the stunning bokeh, shallow depth of field and super fast focusing on cheaper optics.

All of this is pretty immaterial if you are shooting for yourself, but commercial becomes a different ball game.

As for cheap. Nikon, Sony, Fuji etc all have pro spec bodies which are every bit as pricy as Canon

With camera club shooters (the better togs) I would say it very much depends on what genre of photography they mostly do. Wildlife seems to be Nikon, Sports Canon, Landscape Sony, Street photography Fuji. There are also Om Systems (Olympus), Panasonic and Pentax shooters in the club as well.

Most use Dslr or Mirrorless cameras and there are a few members using Bridge cameras.

All cameras are more than capable of achieving great results so brand isn't that important. For me it's a case of making sure it can take a battering in all weathers. Sadly, that is what costs the money

On a good week I take on average of 2000 images. The shutter box mechs wouldn't last very long on the consumer cameras at that rate.

I like to think of it like a builder drilling a hole in the wall. A Black&Decker would do as good a job as a Dewalt. It will however only do so many holes before it runs out of puff

The upshot of all that lot is......I ain't going mirrorless anytime soon, not until such time as my hand is forced, camera expires etc and/or the prices come down.
I just don't want to different systems or brands where I need to stop and think how to use it. Having two of the same cameras means I can swap all the accessories between them and my muscle memory knows instinctively where everything is without having to look away from the viewfinder.

For anyone shooting as a hobby, go out to the shops and have a play and see what suits you. Any camera is more than capable of stunning results .

Ninja......My other favourite subject.
In answer to your question, air fryers (stupid name really as they don't fry anything) use much less oil. The Roast potatoes, I just par boil them . Lightly spray oil on them and cook them directly on the crisper plates. So they don't sit in oil/fat and are much better.

The fat off of any meat also drains away from the meat below the crisper plates so your joints don't sit in their own juices either.
As the meat juices collect below you can still use them to make gravy etc.

Also, cooking times are greatly reduced so they are cheaper to run.

I haven't used the built in oven for months. Only the hob gets used these days.

Toad in the hole I'll be making tonight.....Watch this space

Last edited by coolcat; 17th April 2024 at 14:19..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote