View Single Post
Old 10th February 2020, 21:51   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by super s View Post
my fan never works, i hear the motor sometimes making a buzz after shutting the engine off for 10 seconds or so, but never see the fan acctually working.
Hello Sergio,
You said your fan never works, however the diesel rarely needs the fan for engine cooling. The aircon system uses the low speed fan far more often, so have you confirmed it doesn't operate when the aircon is switched on? This can be checked by running the Demist Test. Realistically it's quite likely that the original resistor you see has indeed failed because they are under-powered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super s View Post
any of you experienced a situation where you stop the car and engine and you hear the fan motor working for a few seconds, maybe 10 seconds or so???
Are you sure this is the radiator fan motor you hear? If it buzzes but doesn't turn, then something is preventing it or perhaps the blades have separated from the motor?
If the low speed resistor has indeed failed, then you must be hearing the high speed. which is an unusual behaviour for a diesel fan. However, the diesel's control system is different from the others. It uses a printed circuit board that's known to be problematic. Strange behaviour of the diesel fan motor could suggest the circuit board needs fixing.

There seems to be several things to consider. Does the motor actually turn or is the buzzing caused by a seized bearing, etc? The low speed system will require an uprated ('Gold') resistor (forum traders, eBay, etc) which will then enable you to run more tests to verify if the circuit board is operating correctly.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote