Thread: Engine cooked
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2019, 18:28   #12
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Hi Simon,
At last my garage has had another look for a water leak. He states he has bled it the MGR way and the engine runs without rising to an high temperature. He has not bi-passed the oil cooler and there is no water visable in that area. There is definitely co2 emitting at the expansion vessel and moisture/steam coming out of the exhaust, indicating HGF. I am a wee bit confused as to what to do next in respect of Head Gasket repair as his quote is £1000.00 at least or to just scrap it and look for another Tourer. I was considering having it transported to JULES in N/Wales, an expert in Rover cars I believe, at a cost of £430.00 just to transport it. I also forgot to mention that after the radiator was replaced we had torrential rain her one day and I drove into, what I thought was a puddle, as all the other cars in front of me got through, but it was actually a pond about a foot deep, the car stopped I turned off the engine and then was towed out. Left the car sitting in the dry for 20mins, tried the engine, it fired up with a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust then white smoke, coughed and spluttered, cleared itself and away we went. Then I had these extra troubles and as my garage states it could be a cracked block as if water had got into the air intake it may have damaged the engine! But the car has always tended to overheat after overtaking or accelerating past anything with the HIGH TEMPERATURE in red on the dash. Thanks
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote