View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 09:02   #71
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Pressed too many zero's, lol I believe you, thousands wouldn't.

I myself originally studied in fine art and illustration, but went on to study in joinery and became a carpenter/builder because that's where the money was. Years later I wanted a cleaner profession which led me in to the business side of things and then retail.

Its safe to say the building trade for example has got worst over the years, the shortage of skilled construction workers is quite a concern. Not to blow my own trumpet, but my father and I were head-hunted by a well known contractor some years ago, this is something that proves there is a continued skilled trades shortage in the UK.

We can post up figures all day long, that still doesn't take away the fact that what is happening in these industries is real.

Construction and bricklaying?

I thought we were discussing UK based enginering/manufacturing vs the same being moved abroad.

Construction trades will always be executed in the UK, be it a percentage of the workers may be imported if there is a local shortage. This is until we start to import pre-assembled houses with electrics and plumbing pre-installed.

As for the zeroes, it still does not chaneg my point whether there are 135 applicants per job or 1000. There are far fewer quality jobs than skilled individuals available and looking to fill those jobs.

There is no skills shortage in high-value engineering and manufacturing in the UK. It's a myth spread by those who do not wish to emplyoy in the UK or the business owners who do not wish to invest in their workforce.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote