Thread: Trolley Jack
View Single Post
Old 15th October 2021, 17:48   #31
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

THIS, from Screwfix is an effortless lift (for the car). It certainly is not effortless to lift (the jack) lol, at nearly 40kgs!

However, they are regularly on sale at Screwfix for around £80, the quick lift refers to lifting the cup to the lifting point.

I only bought it because it was on offer, and couldnt resist. But I will say it again, it is heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Please, would you be good enough to explain why when the car weight is 1530 kg if lifted off all 4 wheels?
.....because it was on offer lol. Seriously though, I could live with and do use my 1.5 more often, however, it does feel like it is straining more than the 3 tonne one. The three tonne one is capable of reaching the central jacking point, and also lifts the car slightly higher if required, most 3 tonnes seem to have that extra few inches in lift.

More importantly though, to me (fact or not), this 'straining' feels like the seals being pushed to their limit. The 3 tonne means the seals have a huge margin of before they could be expected to fail. Plus the one I bought, seems to lift easier, but that is more likely down to geometry rather than anything else.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote