View Single Post
Old 14th December 2018, 16:39   #10
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpwater View Post
It is permitted to own a R75 after retirement! I have been retired for 10 years & as I use it for family long journeys & I've just returned from the annual Xmas deliveries to grandkids, 470 mile round trip in pure comfort & without a hitch & fresh as a daisy on arrival.

Why not spend the cash on a runaround, we have a Skoda Fabia 1.4 diesel which we bought last May, three years old, for £7750, 70 mpg, zero road tax, & will be suitable for long journeys too. The 3 cylinder engine is a bit noisy from outside & I can't get along with the start-stop & it tends to tell the driver how to drive but otherwise it seems a good one.

For long journeys the Rover can't be beaten IMO, mines a Classic CDTi, worth hardly anything if I was to sell it so until it starts to become unreliable I will keep it, although climbing under it for maintenance is becoming more of a problem

I also have an MG TF for summer use

I had the back box replaced last week and have to say she's going like a rocket. I'm in no big rush to move on. Unfortunately, no garage do I need a do everything car. She's done 150k already and post new backbox feels like she might do the same again. Guy who replaced the spring told me to hang on to her. I'm going to do some test drives. If I don't find something that feels much better I 'll leave the pension pot to simmer a bit longer.
boink is offline   Reply With Quote