View Single Post
Old 21st June 2020, 16:06   #1
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default Question on 190 rear flex to rigid brake union.

Been trying to release this union. My learning curve started with thorough cleaning, WD40, Ferrosol, Plusgas, and finally De-block oil. 11mm flare nut spanner too large, 10mm too small. Tried a few other spanners and found a 7/16 crowfoot on a ratchet fitted best, but the Hallelujah moment was short when I noticed the flare nut was turning the brake pipe. Custom cut a plumber's insulating mat, bit of tentative hot and cold ( possibly too tentative since I'm being v. cautious), but flare nut still is seized on the pipe.
So my idea was that if the flare nut was stuck, why not just rotate the flexible hose out instead? With care not to crush, I put a mole wrench on the metal collar of the flexi pipe ( due for replacing anyway ). It rotates easily, but only about 1mm either way and then seems to lock. What is stopping the rotation of the flexi-pipe or should I be able to turn it now the connection is released ?
Still trying to avoid brake pipe renewal as the rigid brake pipe is fairly new and looks OK. New respect for those who earn a living working on brakes
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote