View Single Post
Old 29th November 2021, 12:06   #95
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
It's clearly an emotive subject, balancing a sense of basic human compassion against a fear of people who are different.

I wonder though, if for arguments sake China launched an invasion against Australia and New Zealand and succeeded in taking control. Imagine then them handing power back to the indigenous population and removing the rights to freedom of speech, education, religious worship, voting and land ownerhip to white people. Some of the white people then decide to flee to the UK and Europe, after all, we are safe, have peace within our borders, stable governments, honour and respect human rights, have spoken out against the atrocities being committed in their homeland, who knows perhaps we even sent troops there or bombed them Some flee as families for a better life, others decide to flee here and send money back to their families in Australia or New Zealand as their families are not up for such an arduous journey.

Would we treat them the same or differently as those fleeing from Iran, Yeman, Kurdistan and so on?

A hypothetical question I know, but if they look the same and speak the same as us would we welcome them or turn them back. Would we say you have passed through other countries stay there or tell them if you can afford to pay a trafficker then you don't need to come here

Or would we just blame the French and the EU?
A fertile imagination Simon, but it ignores the very basic premise that Australians coming here would presumably come via the legal route! It’s a preposterous scenario given the vested interests of over half of the rest of the world.

I don’t doubt for a second that you are not excluding Aboriginal applicants as they would, if they wanted to, have to desert their fabled historic lands and ancestors and that would be understandably extremely unlikely. But if they chose to come here they would have exactly the same standing as other Australians provided they came legally. Such an invasion is a false premise on more than one level in my view.

The last sentence is, I regret to say, fatuous. UK is right now forging new links with several EU nations in joint cooperation over a range of avenues - from industry to military cooperation. All details available online if one is interested. There is no need for hostilities of any kind, the intercontinental cooperation is ongoing but nationalistic fervour continues to get in the way in some areas.