View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:18   #36
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
I will leave to the Mod`s
maybe let it run but if the bickering starts it`s up to them.
At one time out of work many decades ago, the benefit I got regarding mortgage was that I got the interest paid so that I did not loose my home.
I guess that must have changed.
Ken.
It has changed - firstly you have to be eligible for other benefits before they will consider paying “Housing Cost Benefit” which is designed to pay only the interest - not the capital- and this is paid at a fixed rate of interest so if you pay more or less than what you actually pay in interest matters not a jot.

The issue here is that few people who have any sort of assets are eligible for these other benefits - so buying a house practically make you ineligible for anything.

And if by some quirk of fate you are eligible by way of being on one of the “trigger benefits” - you have to wait 39 weeks before you get any help with the interest payments.

It used to be 13 weeks but they changed it. So no possibility of help at all for 9 months - and then you need to be claiming other “trigger” benefits to get even this.

And if you look at the criteria you have to fulfil to get those benefits - then anyone with the slightest amount of savings or assets is likely to fail the test.

Is it fair? No I don’t think so? Not when large landowners get huge sums by way of FIT for wind farms and solar panels - and Buy to let landlords can get the State to effectively pay them to prevent them making their tenants homeless.

It needs a shake up - and surprisingly for me - I actually think Corbyn has the right idea. The timing is certainly right with so many youngsters struggling with high rents.

In my day a mortgage cost you more than renting!

Now youngsters are told that they cannot afford a mortgage despite evidence that for years they have been paying far more a month in rent!!

Barmy.

Last edited by Darcydog; 23rd January 2018 at 12:31..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote