View Single Post
Old 18th August 2018, 11:49   #72
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas 75 connie View Post

As to Clydes car. Yes it might look spangly but things were said on another thread which wasn't bullying just stating facts ie brake pipes. We all know the brake pipes corrode. Both my old launch car and my father's both needed doing and we had them replaced.

I really hope he gets the money but as long as I have a hole in my backside I really don't think he will.
I have to agree, (although people forget the fact that it is typed/read which masks all emotion incl. sincerity) - and add to the brake pipe observation.

When I read the ad originally, I baulked at the mention of cost of the tyres (8 in total!) in the space of two years. To me that read of someone trying to get a buyer to pay for the previous owner's use of the car.

I thought of it from a different perspective though, it was a demonstration that the car had been cared for regardless of cost (the cost of these, in this instance still should not have been mentioned IMO). However this made me think, '8 tyres in two years?' Either the car has been ragged, or there's something wrong with the geometry. The shininess of it, to my mind, would rule out excessive annual mileage. I am probably wrong on that, but as an reader of an ad of such an expensive car in terms of value not cost, I would want to know why. Maybe I am good on tyres, but have always got between 20 and 30k miles per driving axle pair. Currently the set that are on my car are at 30k, with the fronts (which were swapped a year ago from the back) are almost ready for replacement, they are showing 2mm of tread, with the rears showing between 3 and 4mm! (they are a cheap set of 'ditchfinders' by the way, Maxtrek. They are fine in the dry, adequate in the wet, and I am sure will find those ditches if I was to drive in a manner not befitting of the conditions! )

I too hope he gets at least close to the money he advertised it for (unless it was an appeasement exercise - 'I will put the car up for sale, and if it doesnt sell, then we have to keep it' ). I have to keep my own car to get the value from it. I have spent at least 4k on it in the 4 1/2 years I have had it. With at least 3k of which on preventative maintenance (and some cosmetic customisation) rather than servicing and failed components - you know, the stuff you have to accept with car ownership?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 18th August 2018 at 11:59..