View Single Post
Old 5th December 2019, 07:58   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
There were two of us, and yes it was a pain ...
How did you share the tasks? It would be an understatement to say that it was "a pain" for one person to hold two sprocket wheels in a precise position against considerable valve spring pressure with just one hand on each.
Quote:
... it's quite easy to put the belt on, if you adjust the tensioner afterwards.
I wasn't asking about adjusting the tensioner Ben. Was the hydraulic casing bolted to the engine at the time that you laced the belt?
Quote:
I had no choice as the workshop tool won't fit my engine anyway.
That's not true. There is a tool separately available for the 190 engine. Some members say that the spigots on the standard tool can be reversed to achieve the same result.
Quote:
The rear sprockets are keyed to the shaft, they're easy enough to hold the exhaust cam in the correct position with a ratchet/socket on the bolt head ...
Which bolt head? Did you remove the exhaust cam sprocket to release the belt? Your reply implies that you did. If so, I can't think of a bolt head which you could have used.
Quote:
I'm sure Trikey will be along soon to explain it better than I ever could.
You claimed to have done it without the tools so I'd like to hear your explanation please. Or are you saying that the person helping you was Trikey?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 5th December 2019 at 08:01..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote