View Single Post
Old 4th September 2019, 11:37   #1
Time Searcher
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 120 MkII XPwr Grey Commission # 31647

Unhappy Faulty Keyfob...

Good afternoon...
I have an MG ZT-T 120+, bought new in 2006 from Main Dealer in Scotland. We now live in Central Portugal and brought the car with us 10 years ago.
Yesterday the Keyfob that I use (Key1) would not open the locked car but the 'spare' which my wife carries (Key2) will function fully.
The keys are originals and have had their batteries changed once in their life. (The Valeo original Fob is not damaged in any way.)

I have had a good long look at the 'problem reports' in this Forum and am aware of the many fixes offered over the years. Disconnecting the car battery for 30 minutes did not solve the problem neither did the many 4 clicks on the fob buttons to synchronise key to BCU (or is it BCU to Key?)...

Once in the car Key1 will start the car and appears to function correctly.
This key will open the car via the driver's door lock and the security of the vehicle appears to be functioning, however the driver's lowered window will not close when the key in the door lock is operated.

I have changed the fob battery in Key1 to no avail.
This morning I took the car to my local ex-MG workshop and he put it on his T4, with me looking over his shoulder.
The initial tests showed no faults on the car and both keys are confirmed as valid. I have the original barcode tags for the keys and he confirmed that the keys are 'correct'.
Disappointedly, he was not able to get Key1 to function fully from the T4, and confirmed my own findings. His best offer to me was to obtain a new key which he says he can code to the car, if I understand him correctly.
He says that he can supply a new key at about €300 which is just about the same as in UK.
Please advise if this should be done, bearing in mind that I do have a fully functioning Key2 and Key1 which appears to work fully except for Remote Locking.
I will probably take over Key2 and demote Key1 to 'standby' in my wife's care as she rarely drives the MG as she has her own 'french' runabout...
Any thoughts, please?
Time Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote