View Single Post
Old 28th April 2015, 19:00   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Diesel 2 speed silver resistor fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
I came to a very long steep climb ... when temp gauge started to rise and engine went into limp mode ..
Hello Tony. Let's try to work out what's going on.

First of all, for a diesel engine temperature gauge to rise above 'normal' is a very serious matter. It indicates that the engine is seriosuly overheating. By the way, I think you mean that the automatic gearbox went into "limp mode" or, more accurately, "EP" mode which is Emergency Program.
Quote:
... could 2nd fan speed not be kicking in (it runs when a/c is switched on), is it possible to check it?
Tony; when you activate the air conditioning the slow speed should run continuously. If the fan switches on and off rhythmically, that's the second (fast) speed. So what do you get: continuous running or switching on and off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
On the diesel, the low speed should trip on at 105C or so.
Actually, it's at 100°C. Come on T-Cut, you're an old hand on the forum, you should know this by now!

Quote:
As an emergency measure the failed resistor could be cut out and replaced using heavy gauge wire and good cable connectors.
This is not advisable since the slow speed relay is not rated for the full motor current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Presumably my resistor is ok but still not sure how to test to see whether speed 2 is working ..
Forget speed 2 Tony. We need to be sure that the slow speed is working. Turn on the ignition with a cold engine and press the windscreen demist button. Is the radiator fan running? Also confirm that your air con. is in working order please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewinpopayan View Post
Would the auto box put the engine into limp mode if the ATF was overheating ...
I have no knowledge of an engine limp mode.

Simon