View Single Post
Old 30th October 2021, 11:22   #18
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Over the past year I've been 'playing' alot with my fuel tank. A tad complicated to explain, but here goes.
I converted the car myself (3rs 75 I've done). Basically, it starts on petrol then after 1/2 mile or less it switchs to gas. I had a problem starting it some time back, thought it was petrol related as gas ran perfectly, but to cut a long story short, it WAS actually an lpg fault, a split diaphragm in the vapouriser.
The upshot of this was plenty of part-swapping _I have a shed full of spares), to no avail. Then someone on here suggests the orange clip on the fuel filter, in the lhs of the tank. Yes, it wasn;'t fitted, so I got one and fitted it. This was the start of the problems in the tank (and before I got to the split diaphragm). The fuel filter is difficult - or rather, tedious, to remove, needing some disassembly in situ, and care with not trapping.or dis-lodging pipes, but perfectly do-able. However it took me a few goes to master it!.
I found the filter casing had no clip fitted, and no actual filter fitted inside, so I sorted those. Then one day, I ran out of lpg (local garage pump empty), so headed off to another garage, on petrol, to fill up. Halfway there, I ran out of fuel, with 1/2 tank showing on the gauge, so the AA towed me home. He found no fuel at the front end - sound familiar?
Back home, I soon sorted it. In moving the filter, a pipe had come off. This seems to be a balancing pipe between the 2 sides of the tank, which is saddle shaped. There was no fuel in the rhs for the pump to pick up, as the pipe had been pulled off the pump. The pump is also tedious to work on, needing partial stripping whilst in the tank and care in putting back.
During this saga I had other issues such as a wire coming off in the tank, the sealing gaskets leaking slightly and more pipe problems but they all needed a bit of tlc in re-assembly.
It is possible to check for electrical continuity withinin the tank without removing either the pump or filter, which will also check the fuel garage operation. I don't have the details at hand, but can check them if needed.

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote