View Single Post
Old 7th January 2011, 15:15   #1
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts
Default The Boiler Room ~ Jules Blog

Some Tales from Jules workshop (or the sharp end)!
For those of you interested in the techie side of these great cars, this will be a regular log I thought I'd start to keep as a bit of fun or as reference with some tips thrown in etc.
Contributors welcome too ..............so here goes

Engine smells entering cabin KV6 2.5 Auto
A case recently during a Cam Belt change.
Before I start a major dismantle job, I usually take a short test drive, just to see if any running problems etc.

This Y Reg car seemed OK, if a tad sluggish (80K miles) apart from the oily fumes type smell coming via the air vents ...oh and an intermittent front indicator bulb.

Alarm bells started to ring when I found 2 of the small cam cover 8mm bolts glued in !!! Brass inserts sheared out due to over tightening.
"someone's been here before" I thought!

Possible causes of Cabin smell:
1:First off, the yellow plastic part of dipstick was found broken just below O ring, so not totally sealing properly.

2:Bulkhead hatch (the bit you take off to access spark plugs etc) wasn't fitted correctly. The lower tabs should be tucked inside the plenum area.

3:Amazingly the main Cambelt had been changed (Gates) but not the other 2 small front & rear belts were still Rover (and very slack)!
To our amazement, the rear Cam timing was out (advanced one tooth)

With new belts (correctly timed now), and a new Balance VIS motor she drove like new again and no more smells.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote