Old 30th August 2019, 15:07   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi Phil.
Married life with Judy is great, she is so attentive and loving, she's a great cook too and has introduced me to many new foods.

In a previous relationship she had in Nairobi she was with a guy that is a government official these days and is under surveillance for fraud equivalent to £10m here. Nice guy on the face of it but corrupt.
Hi Trevor, thank you for replying so quickly. It’s good to hear everything is going well and working out for you both. It was astute of Judy to pull herself out of getting involved with a corrupt official.

In all the years of my global travels, I would say, there are more good people in the world than there are bad. In Kenya, some of the people in government are not at all corrupt. There are indeed some very kind and genuine people in Kenya to be found.

In 2016 I was awarded a Kenyan Citizenship, whilst still being able to hold onto my UK passport, I didn’t have to give it up. The application process took 3 years and in all that time, not once was I asked to pay a bribe to jump the queues, neither was it offered. But the official fee to pay for the stamp is £5000. Not a bribe but it is a money earner for the government.

In January this year I received a demand from the Kenyan Inland Revenue for 40,000, the equivalent of £400. I got an accountant involved who has a friend working for the Revenue in their main office. I was told I had to pay it otherwise I would be fined. I paid my dues and that was the end of the matter. No extras were paid to either the accountant or the contact in the revenue. Their services were free and I was impressed by their generosity.

The KE government are trying to get to grips with corruption and they have a department called “ Graph” dedicated to investigating and prosecuting offenders with a freephone number for members of the public to phone in and report the baddies. We have a cousin who has just retired from being the CEO of a Stock Exchange. She told me how during a work visit to Nigeria, she was offered a gold Rolex as a gift, something she had to refuse for obvious reasons.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote