View Single Post
Old 9th January 2020, 22:51   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Well I am two months in to being her custodian and she is throwing up many problems, much as expected.
On Tuesday my wife was out in her as our daughter had her saloon as their Focus was playing up. As is always the case when you are down to one car between the two of us, the car knows and throws a curve ball. Well it broke its main fan belt. I got a taxi down and let Pauline get home, whilst I called the RAC. The First time I have used them in over thirty years.
After explaining to the call handler that the car was not a member and that it was a joint membership between me and my wife taken out through the RACMSA about fifty years ago. Well they found me and I explained the problem, I was told that there would be a patrol with me in four to five hours. Umm! So after that call I called the local garage and asked John to order me the main stretch belt and please to drop it off with me. 30 mins later John dropped the belt off with me. Just to wait for the RAC.
They were better than their word and arrived within three and a half hours. Sadly they don’t change fan belts. The patrol man had instructions to take my car to the Vauxhall dealer.
I asked please to take the car to the village garage. So just over five hours after the call for help we arrived at the garage that was 2 miles from where the car had thrown its fan belt.
I asked John at the garage to do both of the belts. I got the car back the next afternoon with both belts changed.
just a thought, but if you had your wife call the RAC, they may have arrived earlier .

Also, if the car was only 2 miles form the village garage, could you have let it cool (to more or less cold) and then drive it gently to the garage - albeit without power steering and charging? (just curious if it could be done).

I know all this is closing the stable door ......etc

It will be worth it at the end of the day, and if your wife ever complains, tell her you will sell it and use the money to fund a new hobby ......... in the pub

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote