Thread: Overturned
View Single Post
Old 17th February 2017, 18:42   #10
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfin View Post
I wonder how many people realise you have to pass another test before towing a larger trailer or caravan...

Also I wonder how many people realise that loading the trailer/caravan correctly makes a HUGE difference to how it behaves...

A very important point made regarding loading and weight distribution in/on a trailer or caravan.

The caravan is like an elaborate see-saw, put too much weight at one end, and the other will lift. So this will either push down on the rear of the tow vehicle, affecting the suspension, balance and steering capabilities. Too much at the back lifts the nose of the trailer/caravan and again affects the stability of the car and can cause problems when braking etc.

Doesn't matter when you gained your driving licence, it should be a must for all to pass some form of driving whilst towing assessment, before being able to get insurance. I am often amazed by the number of people who are unaware their car insurance does not always cover towing.

And just to lend my observation, many times on our regular excursions to the New Forest, happily trundling along, Rover 75 and caravan, I find myself checking my speed due to being passed by 4x4's towing the latest caravan. I have seen, like so many others, the destructive results of a caravan flipping over, or trying to overtake the tow-vehicle when braking heavily but why?

Is it the mentality of 'me and my shiny 4x4 and big money no object caravan are invincible', naivety to speed restrictions, or just that mass get away charge so many take part in?

Disaster can and sometimes does, strike at anytime, and may be instigated by the actions of another road user, so think, be aware, and a motto I use...

Better to arrive safe, than to not arrive at all.
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote