View Single Post
Old 29th November 2021, 09:16   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
We have had cuts lasting 2 days during severe cold in the past. These things happen.

My small 2.8KW generator easily powers a kettle, microwave, single hotplate etc. If necessary I am also able to connect it to the central heating to power the oil fired boiler/controller/pump etc. as the garage is on a separate consumer unit and powers just the central heating and lighting/sockets in the garage. This means heat as well as hot water for washing up etc. A floodlight positioned at the front of the house in the garden gives enough lighting through the windows to move about and do the basics in the house.

We also have a wood burner + dry wood.

It's nice to be able to feed hot cups of tea to the people who work on fixing the power lines etc. if they are working near the property.

A petrol powered 2.5kW to 3kW can be bought for around £350 these days.

In exactly the same way that you fill up your fuel tank when tankers cannot deliver due to bad weather. You wait until the situation is resolved.

When exceptional weather events occur, people think carefully about conserving/using the energy they have stored in their tanks/batteries.

my wife and I were talking about a generator only a little while ago.
How have you connected your generator to you electrics and how do you make sure it is not feeding into the national grid?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote