Thread: Electric cut
View Single Post
Old 30th November 2021, 22:53   #19
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
And the teams trying to reach the rural communities arriving in their battery powered 4x4’s and diggers are going to bail us out along with their battery powered chainsaws? Give me a break and get real.

I’m one of the lucky ones having lost power for only 3 days, lots in my area still have nothing 5 days and counting. Friends up behind me still have no electric at all despite having their own wind turbine(probably 75ft in height so not a baby)
I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get power back soon. We also have occasional long power cuts (4 days after a storm was our record) so I do know how it feels.

I wasn't suggesting that teams of electric JCB's and 4x4's will be coming to your rescue, merely that having a massive battery parked outside capable of powering your central heating pump and boiler for a few days might be useful in extended power cuts.

Our current mk1 ZS EV doesn't have vehicle to load so I currently have a bank of leisure batteries always trickle charging in the barn and a mains invertor on standby however when we upgrade to the mk2 to that does have it I'll be able to ditch that and rather then being able to run the heating for around 18 hours we should be able to keep it going for 3 to 4 days, if not more.