View Single Post
Old 1st December 2021, 22:37   #27
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I also have a cheap LIDL charger but can never bring myself to trust it on any of the cars as they all have expensive electronics. It does get used on the ride-on mower which has no electronics, just a starter solenoid driven by the starter key. Last year I noticed that the leads spark when connected to the battery. I need to check it as this suggests a current draw into the charger when not powered which would be a fault condition.
I bought a MD 19161 electronic charger from Lidl and it too sparks at the battery terminals when connecting. I tend to use it just to finish off charging as its display is always lit when in use which I don't think is a good design for screen longevity. Would much prefer for it to be timed off initially and then on only on demand. Used it today and it registered 0 volts on a battery which I knew was nearly fully charged. Checked that the clips were making good connection to the battery terminals and still no joy. Then something caught my eye as I looked closer at the clips. The clips are not crimped to the leads like every other charger that I've ever had. They are compression fittings clamped via a thumbscrew and both leads were loose. A quick tighten of both thumbscrews and all was well again. Will have to watch for that in future.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote