View Single Post
Old 8th January 2022, 11:09   #63
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I got the Wickes range of high energy radiators, they really do pump out more heat, I think it's the fin design that does it. The boiler you have is excellent at 94% efficiency and 6p in every pound lost isn't bad at all, if you can lag every pipe as I did you'll make it even better, I also fitted new windows with Argon filled units that help with sound deadening and are more thermally efficient. The glass units are from Eurocell and made a big difference. I've also over time torn out every internal wall in my house and rebuilt them with insulation as per modern methods, the gable end was rebuilt in 2002 the same way and so, although the house is 96 years old it's very good at retaining heat now.

Were those solid walls you removed? If the rooms were big enough, would it have been quicker, easier and cheaper to attach battens to the solid walls with 2 inch celotex in between the battens and then board over the top? I think a neighbour has done something like this, I'm tempted on the outside walls to do it but I like brick walls for screwing into.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote