View Single Post
Old 17th November 2016, 08:35   #12
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Hmm...

Im concerned I may have cross threaded the rear damper bolt...

Maybe I am just being paranoid, but it was NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- stiff to tighten, and looking at the end of the bolt from the outside where you see the end of it poking through the hole to the outside of the car, it doesnt look quite central. Surely if I had cross threaded such an enormous M12 thread, there would be huge bits of swarf everywhere? It was tight, and I would back it out checking the bolt, and I couldnt see any damage to the threads on the bolt. Just concerned why it was so tight. Maybe the person before me damage the thread somehow. I am usually ultra careful. After tightning it up (nipping it) I then swapped the bolt from the other side, and this one seemed to turn freely. Maybe it was just the first couple of threads on the bolt that were damaged? Two new springs are in at least.

I'll take some pics....
Ross - good work.

I seem to remember my damper bolts being pretty stiff even on replacement- I think the factory had put some Loctite on the threads - perhaps if this is not cleaned off fully before replacement, the bolt will still be stiff. Wire brush the threads before replacing them. If you have cross-threaded it, there will be swarf and visible damage to the thread when you remove it. You can try running a die down the bolt thread and a tap into the bolt hole, if you have a tap/die set - this should sort it out.

Put a picture up if you can.

Cheers

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote