Old 16th June 2019, 19:41   #25
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Hi Steve, looks a very good preventative job, just to ask you some members have said that the ball point bolt screws onto a nut which then falls off never to be seen again when the bolt is undone and then there is nowhere to screw the bolt onto again having inserted the plate, is that true, and if so how do you manage it.
Hi Mario.
I can only presume that those members are referring that if the area as failed that if the ball point bolt is removed the nut then falls inside the channel?

As you can see from the photo's below the ball joint as been removed and the fixing nut is still intake.

Gas strut attached to the ball bolt.

The preventive plates.

Weak spot just to the left of the strut.

Tease out the spring clip with a flat bladed screwdriver & at the same time use bull nosed pliers to tease the strut off the ball.

With the strut removed from the ball bolt rest the strut at the top of the tail gate, it is also best to use a broom stale or get someone to hold up the tailgate to make sure it does not come crashing down due to having only one strut holding it up.

You will now need a ratchet /ring spanner I think it is 15mm the ball bolt can now be cracked loose.

Once cracked loose you can remove the bolt with your fingers.

Remove the ball bolt completely from the body.

The ball bolt can new be matched with the plate.

Insert the ball bolt through the plates oval hole this allows for adjustment

Offer the plate to the car body & screw into the nut hand tight.

Once you are happy the plate is lined up correctly

Use the spanner to tighten the ball bolt.

Then pop on the gas strut to finish the job, repeat the other side as I said in the other post this is only good for preventive measures not to fix an already failed area.

So yes the nut never fell inside when i fixed the plate ? cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote