View Single Post
Old 19th June 2019, 22:36   #13
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
My ZT does this, it seems to be a BMW trait (the rubber compound used and design), as lots of owners of those around the same ages as our cars all moan about it as well.

The creaking isn't loud, it's more like a constant faint plasticy rattle, but in what is an otherwise fairly quiet car it is one of my pet hates about the 75/ZT. It's just a shame MG-Rover didn't have the glass channel rubbers flocked. I've even looked in to having this done 'aftermarket' as it were.

You need to avoid silicone, as it makes it worse. I also find certain car polishes make it worse (Auto-glym super resin polish is a no-no).

Try cleaning the rubbers and glass with alcohol, and then apply a coating of 'gummi pflege' to the rubbers (which is what BMW recommended, it's some German stuff, you can get it on the net).

I would just rub silicone spray on the top edge of the glass tbh. Far less messy, not convinced any of this will work, I noticed that mine was creaking when the window was closing, it was like the regulator was trying to push it too far. It would let out a noise almost like a tired groan. The other windows seemed to stop quicker than the problem window, which to my mind appeared to try and close for at least another half a second over the other three in the car, and this was the window which had the issue.

I think if the glass was adjusted on the regulator runner the problem would go away.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote